Monday, May 3, 2010

Me Monday - A Tribute To My Mom

As Mother's Day quickly approaches I can't help but have my mind filled with thoughts of my mom.  Not that I need a special day to think of her, just in light of the occasion approaching and the fact that I have a blog to write down my thoughts I figured why not dedicate this week's Me Monday to my mom. 
I will try to keep this short so not to bore you with facts on someone you don't know but I may find it difficult to sum up quickly what my mom means to me so please bear with me.  Also still clueless on what to get her so got any ideas, send them my way.


A teacher gave her class of second-graders a lesson on the magnet and what it does. The next day, in a written test, she included this question: “My name has six letters. The first one is m. I pick up things. What am I?” When the test papers were turned in, the teacher was astonished to find that almost 50 percent of the students answered the question with the word mother.

Yes, mothers do pick up things, but they are much more than “magnets,” gathering up clothes and picking up toys around the house. As willing as many mothers are to do such chores, they have a higher calling than that.
A good mother loves her family and provides an atmosphere where each member can find acceptance, security, and understanding. She is there when the children need a listening ear, a comforting word, a warm hug, or a loving touch on a fevered brow. And for the Christian mother, her greatest joy is in teaching her children to trust and love Jesus as their Savior. ¾R.W.D. from Our Daily Bread

I must admit that when I read the question the teacher gave her class my first thought was mother too.  That's what a mom does, not only picking up toys and clothes and such, or picking up kids from sleep overs, school, parties, and such, moms also pick up the pieces of broken hearts, tears shed, and low hanging heads.  I want nothing more than to be the kind of "magnet" mom to Monkey that my mom was to me. 

I've always had a best friend relationship with my mom, I've always loved her to the point of it hurting, I've always appreciated every little sacrifice she made for me growing up and as an adult.  However it wasn't until I became a mom myself that I truly understood why she did it.  What a precious Mom I am blessed to have! She loves me with an intense mother’s love that under girded me every day, and still does.

One time when I was younger, maybe 6 or 7 my mom and I were riding in the car and I asked her what is that word she uses all the time, it starts with an F, what's that F word you use all the time Momma, I kept asking over and over, her eyes got so big and she'd just say I don't know what word you mean.  Can you imagine the terror! haha.  Finally I said FRISTANCE momma, FRISTANCE, I was referring to the phrase For instance, but you know that East Texas accent combines words making it fristance.  I love hearing my mom tell that story even today, it makes me laugh so hard when she describes the terror she was feeling as she thought I was referring to THE F word.  

I remember when I was around 8 still having a very small bike that I no longer fit on but oh so wanting to ride around the block with kids from the neighborhood so I would ride that bike and hit my knees on the handle bars.  I would cry but didn't want my mom to see that and make her feel guilty.  I don't even remember asking for a bigger bike but one day I came outside from piano lessons with my aunt and out in the street were all the kids and my cousins riding their bikes and there in the middle was this beautiful pink and white bike being ridden by my mom.  She didn't need me to ask to know what the desire of my heart was at that time.  So much like our Heavenly Father knows before we even ask. 

My mom was famous for being the loudest cheerer in the crowd and always having her big ole camera with her.  I sometimes would get embarrassed by this but the other players seemed to love it, she wasn't just yelling for me but for each one.  And she wasn't just taking my picture but theirs as well as printing them out and giving to them the next day.  I remember when she came late one time and the other girls were so concerned that they wouldn't get their pictures for that week's game.  She of course got there and all was right and we could start the game LOL.

As you can tell I have a very giving mom but that's not all she's great for, so what kind of mom do I have?

  • I have the kind of mom that at first glance upon her child she was in love.
  • The kind of mom that realizes that every moment with her child is a precious moment and gift from God that should be celebrated. 

  • The kind of mom that sees the inner beauty in others. 
  • The kind of mom that worked 2 and sometimes 3 jobs to not only make ends meet but to give her whiny and sometimes bratty daughter things that I just swore I needed and had to have. 
  • The kind of mom that had to be a mom and dad and never once complained. 
  • The kind of mom that offered any and every opportunity that seemed interesting to me growing up. 
  • The kind of mom that provided an atmosphere where I could learn the greatness of God's love.
  • The kind of mom that was at every pep rally, volleyball game, basketball game, cross country meet, softball tournament, track meet, every tryout, every school event.  Not only was she there, she was the loudest cheerleader, picture taker, and supporter to the other girls whose mom wasn't there. 
  • The kind of mom that was there for every heart ache and ready and willing to whoop some butt for making her child cry. 
  • The kind of mom that when her only child announced she was moving 5 states away to be with the love of her life, she knew she had to let me go. 
  • The kind of mom that paid for plane tickets for me to visit any time, and went without pay to take off to fly out and see me. 
  • The kind of mom that when her only child got married 5 states away so many arrangements and decorations and took care of cost where we couldn't. 
  • The kind of mom that showed by example that it's never too late to follow any dream or desire you may have.
  • The kind of mom that understands the hurts of life that take a toll upon the human soul and has compassion and empathy to those in need of it.
  • The kind of mom that knows good home cooking and laughter can be like medicine to someone in need.
  • The kind of mom that makes the best kind of Grandma. 
  • The kind of mom that leaves you wanting to be a mom like her. 

To simply state that I'm so grateful and thankful to have a mom like mine just doesn't seem to express my heart enough.  Shouting it from the mountaintops would be closer but still not enough.  Showering her with gifts doesn't seem to cut it either.  I don't think there's enough time, energy, or money in the world to help me express my love and thankfulness for mom.  I can merely strive to remind her everyday that she helped mold me into the mom I am to Monkey and the woman I am today.  I honor her this Mother's Day and every day, for she is a woman, a mom that deserves that and so much more. 
I love you mom!
I'll always be your baby!
Do you have fun memories of your mom or have a post sharing about your mom?  I'd love to come read it. 
Happy Monday Ya'll.
Related Posts with Thumbnails

Copy and Paste Code