Friday, March 12, 2010

Yummy Chicken Bundles

In my house it's easy to get in a rut when it comes to the menu. I like to cook, love to cook actually but when I'm tired and busy which is most days then I prefer to stick to something I already know how to make instead of venturing out and trying a new recipe that I need to study before hand. 

Why study?  Because I don't like to just follow a recipe, I like to study a recipe, figure out how I think I can make it better for my family's taste buds and add my own jazz to it.  So when you're tired who wants to study right?

Well I'm pushing myself to eat better, stick to a schedule, don't procrastinate, exercise, and a few other little kicks in the behind.  So this week I tried 4 new recipes.  I'm pretty impressed that I stuck with the plan but glad I did.  One was Chicken Parmesan Bundles.  If you're looking for a way to jazz up boring chicken and add vegetables so the kids may not notice then here you go.


Ingredients

4 oz.Neufchatel Cheese Softened
Frozen chopped spinach, thawed, well drained
1-1/4 cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese, divided
6 Tbsp. Grated Parmesan Cheese, divided
6 small boneless skinless chicken breast halves (1-1/2 lb.), pounded to 1/4-inch thickness
1 egg
10 RITZ Crackers, crushed (about 1/2 cup)
1-1/2 cups spaghetti sauce, heated

HEAT oven to 375ºF.


MIX cream cheese, spinach, 1 cup mozzarella and 3 Tbsp. Parmesan until well blended; spread onto chicken breasts. Starting at one short end of each breast, roll up chicken tightly. Secure with wooden toothpicks, if desired.

BEAT egg in shallow dish. Mix remaining Parmesan and cracker crumbs in separate shallow dish. Dip chicken in egg, then roll in crumb mixture. Place, seam-sides down, in 13x9-inch baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.

BAKE 30 min. or until chicken is done (165ºF). Remove and discard toothpicks, if using. Serve topped with spaghetti sauce and remaining mozzarella.

Something about using ritz crackers for the breading just made this so yummy.  I served this with Sweet Potato and Snap peas.  It was a filling meal that even my 19 month old enjoyed.
Related Posts with Thumbnails

Copy and Paste Code